Backwards compatibility breaks and advisories
Advisories and notifications of backwards compatibility breaks. Sometimes it is necessary to break backwards compatibility or change the workings of RGraph. Here is a list of such notifications.
Older notes are not available.
May 2019 (v5.01)
hmarginproperty has been changed across all libraries to
marginInner. As well as this, the
hmarginGroupedproperty has been changed to
marginInnerGrouped. You will need to change your code if you're setting this property otherwise it will revert to the default value.
The sketch variant of the Bar chart has been updated to better respect
marginInnersetting. There are two examples of this type of Bar chart in the demos in the download archive:
RGraph.parseDate()function has been updated to support more date/time formats - so if you use Scatter chart date/time charts or if you use this function you should check that your charts are OK. You shouldn't notice any difference though.
The Waterfall chart
xaxisLabelsAngle. You will need to update your code appropriately.
labelsAboveoption for specifying a separator was spelt incorrectly and is now called this:
January 2019 (v5.00)
- This is big update - hence the version bump to 5.00. All of the chart types - both SVG and canvas - have been affected. Read about it on the RGraph blog.
The Pie chart option
labelsSticksUsecolorshas been removed. You can still change the colors of the labels but as a whole (all of the labels) and not so that they match the colors on the charts.
labelsCenteroption should now be the literal string that you want to show in the center of the Pie chart.
The canvas Pie chart
labelsSticksListproperty now defaults to true.
The canvas Semi-circular Progress
labelsMaxOffsetyoptions now both default to 5 instead of 0.
- The Pie chart option
labelsSticksUsecolorshas been removed.
February 2018 (v4.66)
The SVG Line chart no longer sets the
yaxisScaleMinproperties when they've been worked out.
November 2017 (v4.65)
- The Scatter chart coordinates have been significantly changed - you can read about them on the Scatter chart documentation page.
All of the SVG charts have had the properties adjusted that are held in
obj.coordsvariable - specifically the
objectvariable is now the RGraph object and the
elementvariable is the SVG element that the coordinates represent. Each chart type's documentation page now details the coordinates.
- The canvas Bipolar chart has had a lot of work done to it this month. As well as now supporting grouped and stacked charts (plus 3D variants of both) the coordinates have been overhauled. You can read details of the Bipolar coordinates at this link.
August 2017 (v4.63)
One of the canvas Pie chart default values was incorrect - the
labelsSticksUsecolorsvalue was true when the correct default is false. This has now been corrected.
The format of the HTML key table ID has changed. They now look like this:
rgraph_key_e80a6674-488f-4e39-b022-314b9129d395and are returned by the HTML key function.
October 2016 (v4.58)
Formerly the Bubble chart
draw()function returned the underlying Scatter chart object. This has now changed so that the Bubble chart is returned.
- The color handling that the Horizontal Bar uses has changed. You may need to update your code accordingly. The colors are now used from the top down.
August 2016 (v4.57)
- My hosting had "a bit of funny turn" in August so please let me know if things don't work as expected.
- Previously, when you adjusted the Bar chart the bar being adjusted was the one under the mouse pointer - regardless of whether it was under the mouse pointer when you pressed the mouse button down. Now though the bar being adjusted remains being the one that you clicked on, regardless of whether you move the mouse left or right. There's an example of adjusting the Bar chart in the download archive (bar-adjustable.html).
July 2016 (v4.56)
textAccessiblePointereventshas had its default changed to
true. You can change it back to
falseif you prefer it that way. This change makes it far easier to select and copy text if required.
- The Bar chart color defaults have been updated so if you don't set the colors yourself they may well change.
get()method of the libraries has been updated to use a slightly different way of parsing property names.
- The handling of decimal scales (eg 0, 0.02, 0.04, 0.06, 0.08, 0.10) has changed and they're no longer represented in exponential format.
- Scaled charts (including the drawing API X/Y axes) no longer have decimals appended to the zero value (eg Bar, Line, Scatter, Horizontal Bar, Waterfall). They also no longer use scientific notation (eg 5e3 ).
- The Horizontal Bar default colors have been changed to:
['red', 'blue', 'green', 'pink', 'yellow', 'cyan', 'navy', 'gray', 'black'](no gradients)
- The Bar chart shadow default has been changed to false
- The Bar chart colors have been changed to:
- The colors of the Waterfall chart have been changed from gradients to solid colors (green, red, blue)
June 2016 (v4.55)
- Only the grid is now cached in the background drawing function. This shouldn't affect anything that you see but should cure a few obscure bugs.
- The option
textAccessiblePointereventsnow defaults to false
textAccessibleoption now defaults to true. You may need to disable this in a few circumstances (eg 3D Pie charts).
- Scaled charts are slowly being converted to have their
scaleZerostartoption to be enabled by default.
- The Pie chart default colors have been changed to solid (ie not graduated) versions of themselves
scaleZerostartoption now defaults to true.
If you're manipulating the
<span>nodes then you need to know that the format for their IDs has changed and had an extra underscore added. An example ID is now:
82_25_100_cvsso the format is now
X_Y_text_id- the X and Y coordinates of the text, the text that is shown within the
<span>and the canvas ID.
The Bar chart animation functions now turn off the
labelsAboveoption whilst animating and turn it back on when done. By doing this performance is noticeably improved - particularly when using the
RGraph.path()API function has been removed - there is a better
- With the Bar chart sketch variants the bars are now drawn before the axes.
- The Line chart property
scaleZerostartnow defaults to true.
The Scatter chart property
scaleZerostarthas been added and defaults to true. Therefore, you might see a zero now if you upgrade.
Some of the Bar chart defaults have changed. The
strokestyleoption is now
trueand the shadow option is now
- The tooltips no longer have a small pointer image underneath them. The positioning of the tooltip remains the same.
Some of the Bar chart defaults have changed. The
strokestyleoption is now
shadowoption is now
April 2016 (v4.54)
The Line chart
lineVisibleproperty is now an array instead of a boolean to accommodate the ability to show or hide individual lines. But you shouldn't set the property directly - use the
show(index)functions. There's also a
cleartooption now has a default of
rgba(0,0,0,0)- this means that if you clear the canvas to a color (instead of it clearing to transparency) in effects and now it unexpectedly goes to transparent you may need to set the
cleartooption on your object to black (or whatever your chosen color is).
October 2015 (v4.50)
- Important Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 and 8 are no longer supported. As such ExCanvas has been removed from the archive. So now the minimum version of Internet Explorer that's supported is version 9.
The Line chart
trace()effect is being removed - please use the
trace2()effect instead. The
trace2()effect does not require jQuery.
The Bipolar now has a background grid enabled by default. You can
turn it off though with the
- The Bipolar function
redrawBars()has been removed
The Gantt chart background grid has changed - you can control
how many grid lines there are with these properties:
August 2015 (v4.32)
- Because the Bar chart 3D effect is different now you might well need a larger bottom margin.
- The Radar chart labels are no longer boxed by default. The order of the Radar chart internals has changed - labels are now drawn AFTER the chart itself in order that the labels appear ON TOP of the chart. The code that draws the Radar chart axis labels has also been updated so that the labels now have a white semi-opaque background to them. This enhances readability.
With the new style properties (eg
background.grid.color) it means that property names are no longer case insensitive. So use them as they're documented - ie don't add your own upper case characters as you wish. Case now matters.
The Line chart labels.above option no longer uses
units.post- they use the separate
paletteentry (which is the annotating palette DIV) is now called
chart.palette(ie it has the
chart.prefix like other registry entries)
June 2015 (v4.30)
instead of using dots to separate the various parts of
the configuration names (eg
text.color) you can now instead use capital letters (eg
textColor). The rest of the configuration name should be lower-case. This does mean that if you use upper case in your configuration names at present you'll need to stop and also change what you have. You can mix 'n' match configuration styles if you wish but I wouldn't recommend it. This is not a change that you need to rush and switch to - it's simply an alternative configuration method