Setting up a different scale for each axis

Share RGraph:   Share or Like RGraph on Facebook!

« Back to message list

Enter your email address to get email updates on this topic. You can stop receiving updates by clicking the link in the update email messages.

Posted by Massimo Cafaro on 28th January 2013
Hi,

I need to set a different scale for each axis for scatter and radar charts. Is this possible ? If yes, how ?
Thank you for sharing your excellent work.
With kind regards,

Massimo Cafaro
Posted by RGraph support on 28th January 2013
Hi,

For the Scatter chart you can set the maximums with:

chart.ymax
chart.xmax

And for the Radar chart:

chart.ymax

Richard, RGraph Support
Thank you for your quick reply.

As I understand, I am allowed to change the scale of both axes for the scatter chart, so this kind of chart is perfectly fine.
My problem is that more often than not (and at least in my case), different datasets have different scales but the radar plot in RGraph only allow one scale for all of the axes through the chart.ymax variable. This results in the majority of the cases in very bad looking radar charts, when one or more of the axes have a very small scale range (imagine three axes, with the following range values [1000, 10000] [0,10] [0,5]).

Do you plan to implement support for a different scale on each axis in one of the next releases ? This feature is really important to produce my charts.

With kind regards,
Massimo Cafaro
Posted by RGraph support on 28th January 2013
Hi,

With a Radar chart all of the points use the same scale - hence only one ymax value. Using a different scale for each axis would result in a quite strange chart.

The radar chart example page:

www.rgraph.net/examples/radar.html

Might you mean the RScatter chart? Even if you do there is only one Y scale for all of the points.

www.rgraph.net/examples/rscatter.html

In both cases the labels are just repeated on each axis to make the chart easier to read. Each set of labels use the same scale.

Richard
Hi Richard,

I have checked the RScatter chart as you suggested, but I really need a traditional radar chart,but with support for a different scale on each of the available axes. I understand that having a common scale simplifies development (you only need to compute maximum and minimum vales among all of the supplied data instead of computing a separate max and min for each of the axes), but the resulting charts are often not quite usable/readable/nice looking.

With kind regards,
Massimo Cafaro

Add a reply

« Back to message list