How do I get a striped Line chart?

« Back to message list

Enter your email address to get email updates on this topic. You can stop receiving updates by clicking the link in the update email messages.

Posted by johnd on 3rd January 2018
Can't spot this on a simple search, so maybe I can short-circuit a more time-consuming search with a quick question:

On an XY chart - a line graph say - is it possible to have alternating bands of colour, ie stripes, along either or both of the X and Y axes? (So on both axes it would give a chequerboard effect, though it needs to be done in fainter colours to be effective.) I'm sure there are workarounds that will do this in rgraph, but some charting packages have built-in methods that simplify the process and this is really my question.
Posted by Richard on 3rd January 2018
Hi there,

The easiest way to get a checkerboard pattern would be to use an image. Though you'll want to use a wider image than this example:

[REMOVED]

Richard
Posted by johnd on 4th January 2018
Ah, sorry, chequerboard isn't the right word - stripes was best. Here's an example from a project I was previously working on (10 years ago!) that I'd like to try and replicate, at least in simplified form in a browser app.

www.flickr.com/photos/155345231@N05/24625134347/

This was done in a package called ChartDir - still available and very flexible but not a modern JS-based program.

But the y axis on this plot will vary and so needs to be configurable programmatically.
Posted by Richard on 4th January 2018
Hi there,

Your image doesn't work email it to me at:

richardheyes aaatttt gmail

(I think you'll figure out the email from that).

But if its stripes that you want - then the backgroundBarcolor1 and backgroundBarcolor2 properties should be able to do this for you.

Richard
Posted by johnd on 4th January 2018
Sorry, could you try again - think I may have had the Flickr set to private :-(
Posted by Richard on 4th January 2018
Hi there,

For that you could combine the Horizontal Bar chart with the Bar chart and use the HBar as the background like this:

www.rgraph.net/tests/canvas.bar/hbar-background.html

Richard

Add a reply

« Back to message list