Displaying large sets of data

Share RGraph:   To help my Google visibility (it can't get much worse!), if you like and use RGraph I'd appreciate it if you could link to me

« Back to message list

Enter your email address to get email updates on this topic. You can stop receiving updates by clicking the link in the update email messages.

Posted by Austin on 14th July 2014
I am trying to display large sets of data (up to 1000 x-values) on a bar chart with a scroll wheel and multiple bars per x-value. I am currently just writing an array into the javascript but the speed of the page has suffered dramatically, with long load times and the page freezing for ~5secs on any interaction with the charts including scrolling or clicking tooltips. Is there a way to speed up the graphing and get rid of the hangs, perhaps by using AJAX or something similar?

Thank you
Austin
Posted by Richard on 14th July 2014
This Bar chart has 1000 bars, stacked so there's two thousand individual bars. And every time that you move the mouse and click it RGraph has to check each of those bars to determine if the mouse is over the bar or not. So there's a visible delay but the chart isn't unusable by any means.

Getting rid of tooltips and not including the dynamic library will help (so the mousemove event listener is not installed

www.rgraph.net/fiddle/view/a-bar-chart-with-lots-of-values

Richard
Posted by Richard on 14th July 2014
As an after-thought: Turning off the shadow sped things up noticeably:

obj.set('shadow', false);

Richard
Posted by Austin on 14th July 2014
Thank you for your help, I tried both of your tips and everything is working much smoother.

-Austin

Add a reply

« Back to message list